| An Old Enemy Returns |
(Gōsei Majū Kimerumon)
"Composite Monster Chimairamon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) August 13, 2000|
(En:) November 18, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Hiro Masaki|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroyuki Kakudou|
| Chief Anim.|
The group begins to close in on the Digimon Emperor after rediscovering his base, and arrive just in time to witness the Emperor's most ingenious piece of work.
T.K., Cody, Kari, and Yolei go out in search of the Emperor’s Base, leaving Davis behind as neither of Veemon's armor digivolved forms can actually fly. Cody finds an entrance underwater to his base. T.K. and Pegasusmon along with Tentomon find a whirlpool known as the Dark Whirlpool. Ken notices it too and goes in, ignoring Wormmon’s warning about there being evil in it, Ken finds Devimon and extracts his data to complete his own Digimon, Kimeramon. In the base Cody and T.K. release captive Digimon. T.K. gets mad because of Devimon, since he was responsible for Angemon's death three years ago, and that he was in that whirlpool. Leaving Cody, Armadillomon, and Tentomon, T.K. and Patamon decide to face Ken and Wormmon by fighting them. Ken faces T.K. but whips him. T.K. then punches him and brutally hits Ken. However, when Ken sets Kimeramon on Yolei and Kari, where Nefertimon and Halsemon are defeated, T.K. ends the fight to go aid them. Having discovered the island he is on can move, Davis helps Cody, Digmon, and Tentomon rescue the captured Digimon, while Pegasusmon creates a distraction, long enough for him, Halsemon, and Nefertimon to escape with their human partners.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"It makes Texas look like Rhode Island."
- —Submarimon comments on the size of the Digimon Emperor's base.
Wormmon: "Master, I know you hardly ever listen to me—okay, you never listen to me—but please, just this one, do what I ask. Don't do it."
Ken: "Hmm...I'm sorry, I wasn't listening. Did you say something?"
- —Wormmon doesn't want Ken going anywhere near the "Dark Pool".
"Of all the Digimon that are out there, why did it have to be Devimon?...I always felt that it was my fault, that maybe I could have done something, but it was too late. I was too young back then to know how to handle it, too young to understand. Well, that was then, and this is now!"
- —Even after all this time, T.K. still carries the scars of losing his partner.
Ken: "You will bow down before me!"
T.K.: "Sorry, the floor's kinda dirty."
- —T.K. isn't putting up with the Digimon Emperor's arrogance.
Patamon: "Wanna fight?"
Wormmon: "Actually, I'd prefer a staring contest."
- —Patamon and Wormmon...aren't the most vicious opponents.
"Didn't I tell you? I have a new pet, Kimeramon. My secret weapon that's not a secret anymore."
- —The Digimon Emperor reveals his brand-new, prized creation!
- The dialogue at the beginning of the episode is different in each version. Originally, the narrator is speaking about the DigiDestined's current situation, whilst in the English dub, Gatomon and Veemon are talking to each other.
- In the original version, the email sent to Izzy is from Cody, rather than Kari.
- A shot of Jun hitchhiking a ride is removed from the English dub.
- The old couple who give Jun a ride are not originally her grandparents, but a couple of strangers. A similar situation in the previous series is dealt with in the same way, in the episode Almost Home Free.
- In the English dub, when Kimeramon strikes Halsemon and then Nefertimon, each moment of contact is censored with a white flash.
- A moment is removed from the English dub when Halsemon falls towards the ocean after being hit by Kimeramon, and then recovers.
- During Ken and T.K.'s fight, two moments are censored with white flashes, including Ken's whip making contact with T.K.'s face, and T.K.'s fist making contact with Ken's face.
- When Wormmon makes a comment to Ken involving Christmas, Ken replies with the famous quote "Bah! Humbug!", the "catchphrase" of Ebenezer Scrooge from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.
- When T.K. accuses Ken of being a "pretender", he compares him to the folk-tale The Emperor's New Clothes.
- The bus that Jun rides on her way to the campsite is a "TOEI"-line bus.
- Veemon's complaint that he can't fly like the other Digimon, "All the other Digimon can fly! Why can't I?" is based on a line from the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
- Ken announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- In the English dub opening theme, where a voice would normally say "armor digivolve", "digivolve into ultimate" is heard instead. This is normally heard in the theme tune to the previous series.
- Ken claims to have invented Kimeramon, but a Kimeramon first appeared in Digimon Adventure: Anode/Cathode Tamer, so Ken in fact recreated Kimeramon. Given that said Kimeramon eventually became the time-contorting Millenniummon, there may be some time hijinx involved.