| "Arukenimon's Tangled Web" |
(Arukenimon Kumojo no Miss)
"Arachnemon, Miss of the Spider Woman"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) October 22, 2000|
(En:) February 10, 2001
|Written by|| (Ja:) Hiro Masaki|
(En:) Rebecca Forstadt, Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
| Chief Anim.|
The DigiDestined find themselves fighting against their own Digimon, due to Arukenimon's sinister spell. The only way out of this fiendish situation is to outwit this mysterious mastermind!
Cody, Davis, and Ken are trapped in a Dokugumon's web; although they call for help, ExVeemon is busy fending off the brainwashed Stingmon and Digmon, while Yolei is running from a swarm of Flymon, and T.K. and Kari are hiding from some vicious Snimon. Desperate for options, Cody spots a giant air conditioner, so Ken lofts a chunk of wood to Davis, who kicks it at the thermostat, turning on the air conditioning and blowing Dokugumon away. As they lower themselves to the bed below, ExVeemon is knocked down and degenerates to Veemon. The children quickly lock themselves in a nearby nightstand, but the strange woman sends Digmon and Stingmon after them. Pondering the situation, Ken realizes that it is the sound from the woman's flute that is brainwashing the Insect Digimon, and that playing back an inverse sound-wave will negate the spell's effect. Ken, Davis, and Cody communicate their plan to the others, and so Yolei, T.K., and Kari make their way to the Giga House's computer, narrowly escaping the Flymon which get stuck in the room's door. Aquilamon changes into Shurimon and helps defend T.K. while he hooks up the sound equipment, while Kari and Yolei record the sound of the flute. Just as Digmon and Stingmon break into the nightstand and the Flymon break through the door, Kari and Yolei finish their work and play the counter-spell. Furious that her insect slaves have been freed, the woman jumps down to the DigiDestined and reveals her true, monstrous form: Arukenimon. She holds her own against the DigiDestined's Digimon, even trading blows with Paildramon, so the DigiDestined have Paildramon lure her into another room. As soon as she turns the corner, they stun her with various insecticides, shock her with exposed wires, then deliver the coup de grâce with Paildramon. They try to interrogate her about her plans, but she gives them nothing and surprises Paildramon with her "Spider Thread". Paildramon is ready to take her down again, when Mummymon shows up to rescue her. He disables all of the DigiDestined's Digimon, then escapes with his partner.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Davis: "Hey, lady, don't you know any other tunes?"
ExVeemon: "I can't stand it! Doesn't she know another song?"
- —Davis and ExVeemon share the same frustration with Arukenimon's music.
Davis: "Help us!"
ExVeemon: "Help you? Who's going to help me?"
- —Davis and ExVeemon are both in a tight spot.
"I wondered why Matt's band sounded so good lately. Matt said it was because he was such a great musician! Wait 'til I tell him I know his secret weapon is Yolei!"
- —T.K. gains leverage over his brother.
Yolei: "We'll delete the section that we don't need, and then we'll save the part that's left as a sound file. We'll copy and paste the original onto multiple tracks and use special effects to distort the sound bites. All you do is press play."
Kari: "Um, I have no idea what you're talking about."
- —Yolei and Kari unknowingly mimick the actions of Izzy and Tai in the old days.
"Why do I have a sudden urge to sit on a tuffet eating curds and whey?"
- —Good question, Stingmon... gooood question.
"Some eau de la bug spray, madame?"
- —Digmon giving Arukenimon the salon treatment from Hell.
"Just think of me as a well wrapped present."
- —Mummymon before revealing his true form.
- Right before Cody calls out to Digmon to tell him to stop attacking ExVeemon, he blinks four times. During the first blink, his eyes vanish completely.
- In the shot where ExVeemon puts Davis, Cody and Ken down before dedigivolving, He is much bigger in comparison to them than normal.
- The Japanese title of the episode is a play on the Argentinian novel El beso de la Mujer Araña (Esp: Kiss of the Spider Woman).
- The English title of the episode is a play on the Walter Scott's poem Marmion: "Oh! what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!"
- In the English dub, Arukenimon's Digimon Analyzer references Mary Howitt's poem The Spider and the Fly: "'Will you walk into my parlour?' said the Spider to the Fly."
- Arukenimon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.