| "Departure for a New Continent" |
(Shukkou — Shin Tairiku e!)
"Departure — To a New Continent!"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) June 6, 1999|
(En:) October 2, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Reiko Yoshida|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Tetsuo Imazawa|
| Chief Anim.|
The kids receive a call for help from a far off continent called Server, and set about building a raft to take them across the ocean.
Gennai explains to the DigiDestined and their partners that he is talking to them in the form of a hologram from the Server Continent. He does not know how they can get home but he still needs their help in defeating other evil Digimon. They will need to digivolve once more to the next level. To do so, the kids will need to find the Tags and Crests. The Crests are scattered throughout Server but the Tags were hidden by Devimon. Gennai's hologram then disappears but not before being able to put a map on Izzy's computer. The kids wonder how to get to Server, which is very far away according to Izzy's map. Most of the group doesn't think it is a good idea to go but T.K. says they should so they all agree.
The next day, everyone begins to build a raft. Leomon shows up with Centarumon, Elecmon, Mojyamon, Monzaemon, Frigimon, Meramon and the Yokomon to help. With their help, the raft gets finished in no time. Just then, T.K.'s Digi-Egg hatches into a Poyomon! He is thrilled and with that, the DigiDestined and their partners leave File Island to go to Server with all of their friends saying goodbye.
As the group is sailing, a giant tidal wave comes. It was caused by a Whamon who eats them. After being sent down the esophagus where they are attacked by antibodies, they end up in the stomach which is quickly filling up with stomach acid. As they are looking for a way out, Sora spots a Black Gear in Whamon. Palmon uses her "Poison Ivy" to latch onto the gear. Tai climbs it and uses his Digivice to destroy the gear. Whamon then shoots the raft out through his blow hole and apologizes to everyone. As their raft is now broken, Whamon offers to take the group to Server. He also says that he once saw Devimon hide something deep in the ocean and will take the kids there to see what it was.
They end up in a cove and when Whamon lets them off, the group sees a convenience store but they run into a Drimogemon with a Black Gear before they can reach it. Gomamon digivolves into Ikkakumon to fight Drimogemon while everyone else looks for the tags. They go into the store but it's being destroyed. Tentomon then joins the fight by digivolving to Kabuterimon and he is able to break the Gear. In all the scuffle, T.K. looses Poyomon. When he finds him, Poyomon has a box. It contains the Tags. Now that they have them, the kids just need the Crests so they continue onto Server with Whamon to get them.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
| Slime Digimon|
|Tentomon: "Poyomon is a Jellyfish-type Digimon of few words, but if his friends are in trouble, he's ready for action."|
| Aquatic Digimon|
|Tentomon: "Whamon is a giant Digimon who lives in the deep oceans of the Digital World. Its "Jet Arrows" are unbelievable."|
| Beast Digimon|
|Tentomon: "Drimogemon lives deep inside the earth, drilling tunnels. He uses his "Iron Drill Spin" and "Crusher Bone" to wipe out his enemies."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"Boy, you're a regular fountain of information, aren't you?"
- —Tai expresses his opinion of Gennai.
"Now that my stomach is full, I'm ready for lunch."
- —Tentomon doesn't seem to fully understand the purpose of eating.
"When we had to survive on our own, we grew up very fast, except Joe. He just threw up very fast."
- —Tai sneaks in another joke at Joe's expense.
"Oh, you know us monsters. We all love to gossip."
- —Leomon is very much in the loop.
- When the other Digimon come to help, Izzy recognizes Elecmon, T.K. recognizes Frigimon, and Tai recognizes Centarumon, despite never seeing them before.
- In the English dub, as soon as Drimogemon appears, T.K. announces his name, even though he's never seen him before.
- Whilst talking to Gennai, a shot from behind the group shows Palmon's fingers as being the same color as her body.
- When the group are discussing their next plan of action, Palmon's fingers are completely green.
- When the DigiDestined are following their raft to the shore, Tai, Sora and Mimi's shoes are miscolored.
- As the group sail off, a shot from behind shows Izzy's shoes with the gray and purple colors inverted.
- When Mimi and Palmon are shown holding to the floating remains of the raft, part of the string of Mimi's hat is colored black.
- When Agumon tells Tai to go on ahead to look for the tags, the blue stripes on Gabumon's right arm aren't colored in.
- Just after Ikkakumon digivolves, Tentomon's feet are shown as being black on the bottom, where they should be red.
- When Ikkakumon collides with Drimogemon, Ikkakumon's paws are the white instead of brown, and as the group rush past, Tentomon's thighs are red instead of green.
- When the group enter the store, the gray part of Tentomon's left thigh is missing.
- Before digivolving to Kabuterimon, part of Tentomon's lower arms are black instead of red.
- When T.K. finds Poyomon hiding in the store, Poyomon is pink instead of light blue.
- When looking at the tags, a white claw-like shape seems to be protruding from Tai's left hand, the white line on Sora's shirt is missing, her belt is the same color as her pants, and the straps of Izzy's laptop bag are the same color as his shirt.
- In a shot that the group are building the raft, Tai's star on his sleeve is the same color as his gloves.
- Joe narrates the recap in place of Agumon in the French dub.
- The Digimon that come to help the DigiDestined are all from previous episodes.
- Whamon's swallowing of the kids raft appears to be an allusion to a similar moment from Pinnochio.
- Tai announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- The original episode features the insert song Seven (for the first time), which is played as the group go about building their raft.
- Drimogemon is the last Digimon to be possessed by a black gear.
- In the English dub, the music normally played during digivolution is changed to the actual Digimon Opening Theme, though with some of the vocals cut out. This remains throughout this series, and the next series. Some syndicated repeats of the first 13 episdoes are edited to use this Digivolve theme.
- This is the first English dub episode to be written by Jeff Nimoy and Bob Buchholz, who would go on to write and co-write many English dub episodes of Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02, plus Digimon: The Movie.
- Gennai's mention of "now at ten cents a minute" references ads for cell phone data plans at the time.