| "Digimon Adventure" |
|Airdate|| (Ja:) March 6, 1999|
(En:) October 6, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Reiko Yoshida|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Mamoru Hosoda|
Two children receive a strange egg that hatches into their very first Digimon, leading to the night that would change their lives forever.
In Highton View Terrace, Tokyo, a boy named Taichi "Tai" Kamiya wakes up late at night and sees his sister Kari Kamiya looking at their dad's computer. Suddenly, a strange egg comes out of it. The next morning, Tai cannot believe his eyes when he realizes the egg is real. While their mother is out, the egg seems to develop a mind of its own when it escapes Kari's grasp and rolls away. It then hatches into a Botamon and immediately latches onto Tai's face. Tai throws it off, and it runs under the nearby bed. Tai tries to get it out by throwing his googles at it, but that just makes Botamon blow bubbles at him. Kari eventually gains its trust with her whistle and begins feeding it chocolate, causing it to digivolve into Koromon.
Now out of food, Kari steals the food belonging to their cat, Miko, and gives it to Koromon, who thanks her by latching onto her face as well and then Tai's. Miko soon finds Koromon with its food, however, and lashes out. Tai tries to protect him and, soon after, Koromon introduces himself. Tai is at first upset first because Kari is talking to Koromon but will only blow her whistle at him. He tells Tai and Kari that he is a Digimon from the Digital World. They don't really understand this and later head to bed, but Koromon suddenly digivolves into a large Agumon and begins roaming the streets, causing destruction on a small scale, while carrying Kari on his back.
Agumon is roaming around the city causing trouble while Tai frantically chases after him and Kari. Before he manages to cause any real casualties, a Parrotmon appears out of a huge egg in the sky. Agumon lashes out, which only angers the bird, causing it to destroy an overhead bridge and covering Agumon and the two kids in rubble. Out of the rubble, Greymon appears in Agumon's place and begins fighting back against Parrotmon. After a few minutes, Greymon is knocked out, and only awakens when Tai blows Kari's whistle as loud as he can. He then lets out a blinding fire breath attack, and the two Digimon vanish, leaving Tai and Kari alone amongst all the destruction. Yamato "Matt" Ishida, Sora Takenouchi, Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi, Mimi Tachikawa, Joe Kido, and Takeru "T.K." Takaishi all see the battle from their windows and are chosen as DigiDestined along with Tai and Kari four years later.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"Who says there's no such thing as monsters?"
- —Kari introduces Digimon: The Movie.
"Now don't plan a vacation there: I'm not even sure where it is! But when I first saw it, I was so scared, I was so nervous, I was so... cute!"
- —Kari talks about the Digital World
"Even back then, he was a born leader: brave, strong, and graceful."
- —Kari commenting on her brother Tai, just as slips on the ladder of their bunk bed.
"As usual, Tai came up with a brave plan of action. It worked about as well as his other plans."
- —Kari commenting on Tai's attempts to attack Botamon with his goggles.
"There's something wrong with the phone. Perfect timing."
- —Tai, relieved to be cut off from Sora's yelling.
"Where are we gonna hide him? What's Mom gonna say when she finds out? It can't get any worse! ... It just got worse!"
- — Tai's panicking, cut short by Koromon pooping on the floor.
"We're in luck! She burned them!"
- —Tai is just thankful that his Mom's a bad cook.
"How come you talk to him and only whistle at me?"
- —Tai, bemused as to how Koromon made Kari speak.
"When this one digivolved, he expanded more than my Uncle Fred at Thanksgiving!"
- —Kari commenting on the giant Agumon.
"I'm gonna get grounded for this."
- —Tai when Agumon crashes through his bedroom window.
"How hard could it be to find a dinosaur?"
- —Tai loses track of a giant Agumon.
Trucker #1: "Did you see that?"
Trucker #2: "No, I was sleeping."
Trucker #1: "But you're driving!"
- —Two truck drivers briefly encounter Agumon.
"I know my mom says they're always late, but they can't help it!"
- —Kari concludes why Agumon might want to blow up a bus.
"I'd hate to see the chicken that egg came out of!"
- —Tai upon seeing the giant Digi-Egg covering the sky.
"Polly want a cracker? A really big cracker?!"
- —Tai's response to Parrotmon.
- This movie is presented in the English dub as the first part of Digimon: The Movie.
- The mentioning of Willis in the English movie is only added to link this movie to another, Digimon Hurricane Landing!! and Transcendent Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals, which composes the third part of Digimon: The Movie. In Japan, the movies are unrelated in plot.
- Kari does not narrate in the original version. Instead, it was Tai but only at the beginning and at the end of the movie.
- Kari's whistle plays the English Digimon theme in the dub while in the original movie plays normally.
- The English dub cuts out a part where the kids' father arrives home drunk and attempts to open their bedroom door. This is when Koromon has just digivolved, which explains why Tai his holding onto the door handle at that moment.
- In the original version, when Tai picks up the phone after Botamon evolves, he hears only static. In the English dub, he instead receives a call from Sora, who tells him that Mimi told her that he was the one who threw up in her hat.
- In the original version, Koromon does not speak after becoming Agumon.
- In the original version, when Joe makes a phone call during the fight against Parrotmon, he only says "hello, hello, it's a bird..." with no indication as to whom he is talking to. In the English dub, he was talking to Mimi.
- In the English version, during the battle between Greymon and Parrotmon, Sora is rooting for Tai to succeed in waking up Greymon and says "come on, Tai". In the original version, she did not know Tai and said "that boy..." and was surprised to see him being so close to the apparent monsters.
- Parrotmon also doesn't speak in the original movie.
- In the original version, Greymon breaks off Parrotmon's lower beak by stabbing it with his horns and vaporizes Parrotmon's wing with his Nova Flame. These scenes are cut from the English version, though Parrotmon's resulting injuries are left in.
- This movie features a key battle between Greymon and Parrotmon, which is spoken about a lot in the TV series, firstly and most of all in the Digimon Adventure episode, Return to Highton View Terrace.
- Agumon and Greymon's attacks in the English dub movie are announced as "Pepper Fire" and "Nova Flame", respectively. They seem to be more powerful than the equivalent "Pepper Breath" and "Nova Blast" attacks used in the television series. Additionally, Greymon's Nova Flame attack appears as a stream of blue flame rather than a fireball.
- The well-known orchestral piece Boléro, by Maurice Ravel, is used as the main theme for the original film, as it is played throughout.
- The first episode of the more well known TV series of Digimon Adventure was aired, for the first time, just a day after this movie aired in Japan.
- In the original version, Tai tried to name the Botamon as "Bota-bota", "Puyusuke" and "Black Devil". All three names were rejected by Kari through whistling.
- In the English dub, the Agumon and Greymon of this movie are credited as "Big Agumon" and "Red Greymon" in order to differentiate them from Tai's partner Agumon and Greymon.
|Main characters:||Taichi "Tai" Kamiya | Yamato "Matt" Ishida | Sora Takenouchi | Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi | Mimi Tachikawa | Joe Kido | Takeru "T.K." Takaishi | Kari Kamiya|
|Digimon:||Agumon | Gabumon | Biyomon | Tentomon | Palmon | Gomamon | Patamon | Gatomon|
|Villains:||Devimon | Etemon | Myotismon and DemiDevimon | Dark Masters | Apocalymon | Diaboromon | Millenniummon|
|Other characters:||Gennai | Willis, Gummymon, and Kokomon | Ryo Akiyama | Koromon | Leomon | Ogremon | Wizardmon | Other characters|
|Relationships:||Taichi "Tai" Kamiya | Yamato "Matt" Ishida | Sora Takenouchi | Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi | Mimi Tachikawa | Joe Kido | Takeru "T.K." Takaishi | Kari Kamiya|
|Other media:||Digimon: The Movie | Digimon Adventure | Our War Game! | Digimon Grandprix! | Character Song + Mini Drama 1 (2, 3) | 2½ Year Break | Anode and Cathode Tamer | Novel | Albums | PSP game|
|See also:||Digimon | Digital World | Digivice | Crests | Black Gear | Dark Network | Peace Keeper | List of episodes|