| Garurumon |
(Aoki Ōkami! Garurumon)
"The Blue Wolf! Garurumon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) March 21, 1999|
(En:) August 28, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Reiko Yoshida|
(En:) Rebecca Forstadt, J.M. Morris
|Directed by||(Ja:) Takenori Kawada|
| Chief Anim.|
A trolley car in the middle of a lake provides a place for the kids to sleep, but the lake is also home to a bad-tempered Seadramon.
Tai asks Agumon why he doesn't just stay in his Greymon form because he thought it was really cool. Agumon tells him that he can't because it uses too much energy. Suddenly, a Monochromon comes out of nowhere and attacks. Then another one appears! The DigiDestined run away as the two Digimon fight.
When the sun begins to set, the group realizes that they are tired. Matt wants to keep walking because they don't know if it's safe to stop, but Tai says they need food. Tentomon finds a lake for them to camp at. They find an empty trolley car there and decide to stay in it. Now that they have shelter, the group just needs food. The kids and their partners all go to gather things to eat for dinner. Tai starts to realize that Matt doesn't really treat T.K. like a brother. It's much more like he's a bother. Sora agrees with him. As Joe looks in the sky to figure out where they are, he finds that he doesn't recognize any constellations. He can't even find the north star. Tai suggests that they could be in the southern hemisphere.
Everyone is getting very tired and are ready to go to sleep but Izzy thinks that they should take turns standing guard. Tai says that they can all do it for an hour but Matt says T.K. is too young and needs sleep. He then starts to get in a fight with Tai for bothering Gabumon. Joe finally decides that the order will be Tai, Matt, Izzy, and Joe. Everyone else can go sleep in the trolley. While they're sleeping, Matt has Gabumon go sleep by T.K. to keep him warm.
During his turn, Tai notices that Matt is up too. Matt apologizes and says that it's stressful being in the Digital World and watching T.K. Tai asks if they even live in the same house and Matt explains that their parents are divorced and he lives with their dad while T.K. is with their mom. After Tai says that that explains a lot, Matt runs away to a nearby island. Then Tai and Agumon hear Matt playing his harmonica. Gabumon hears it too and comes to join his partner.
While Tai and Agumon are sitting by the fire, it begins to spark and the ground shakes. The sparks have hit the tail of a Seadramon and he's mad. He pulls away the island everyone else is on leaving just Matt and Gabumon on their separate one. The digimon try to fight Seadramon but are not strong enough. Agumon also doesn't have the strength to Digivolve. Matt and Gabumon have now jumped in the water to distract Seadramon but he grabs Matt. As he is in trouble his Digivice begins to glow and Gabumon digivolves to Garurumon! Garurumon frees Matt and defeats Seadramon. Gomamon has his fish friends bring the island back to main land.
The DigiDestined then discover that their digimon can only digivolve when they are in trouble like how Matt was in trouble or when Tai was and Agumon digivolved. Everyone is very tired after an exiting night and all fall asleep except for Matt and Tai. Tai hears Matt's harmonica again and sees him playing for his sleeping brother and their partners. Tai watches as Matt plays and T.K. sleeps with a smile on his face.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
| Ankylosaur Digimon|
|Tentomon: "Although, it is wise to be a bit cautious with a Monochromon. They do tend to get a bit miffed when they're hungry."|
| Aquatic Digimon|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Tai: "We have to find some food."
Joe: "That is a good plan. I like that plan a lot."
- —Tai, suggesting something that everyone can agree on.
Tai: "This is where I wish we had a microwave."
Matt: "Me too, because you're about to lose your fingers. Why don't you use a stick?"
Tai: "How did you come up with that, Matt?"
Matt: "Because I'm the man."
- —Matt's sense of humor.
Mimi: "I'm getting cold! I need a warm blanket to help me sleep."
Tai: "Hey, Gabumon! Watch it, Mimi may sneak up on you and steal your fur, so if you feel a little tug it might be her about to cut your tail off!"
Gabumon: "Stop Tai, that's not funny!"
Matt: "Quit it!"
Tai: "What are you bugging about!?"
Matt: "Gabumon told you to stop! So knock it off!"
Tai: "Hey, you can't tell me what to do!"
T.K.: "Come on, guys, stop fighting!"
- —Tai tries to help Mimi's cold problem with a little teasing, and Matt scolds him.
T.K.: "Don't let the Monochromon bite!"
Sora: "Thanks for reminding me, T.K."
- —T.K. assures that the group won't be getting much sleep.
"Matt, I'm just letting you know, my fur's gonna get wet, and I'm gonna stink."
- -Gabumon, giving his partner a fair warning.
"Hey, over here you overgrown water-lizard!"
- -Matt taunts Seadramon without a hint of subtlety.
Tai: "I hope you're not exaggerating, Tentomon, with another one of your wild fish tales again."
Agumon: "He could be."
Tentomon: "But I heard about it!"
- —Tai and Agumon know better than to listen to Tentomon's stories.
- In the English dub, a flashback of Agumon in the previous episode shows him saying "Greymon" just before digivolving, though in the actual episode, at that point, he says "digivolve".
- In a shot of the group at the cliff edge, Tai's shoes are completely blue, Sora's are red, and Izzy's are dark gray.
- In a shot of Izzy and Tentomon, the lower sides of Tentomon's head are colored green instead of red.
- In a shot of the group and the first Monochromon, the yellow stripes on Tai's shirt are missing, the neck of Sora's shirt is yellow instead of white, and the brown bands on Mimi's gloves are missing.
- When the group see the other Monochromon, T.K.'s hat is a darker tone of green.
- When Palmon leaves Mimi, her fingers are completely purple.
- In a back shot of Sora, Izzy, Mimi and their Digimon, Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- In a shot of the two Monochromon, the right paw of the one biting is colored dark gray instead of white.
- In a back shot of Sora and Izzy looking at the evening, Sora's belt is the same color as her pants.
- When Tentomon flies away, Sora's belt is the same color as her pants.
- When Gomamon runs towards the creek, his fingers are shaded partially white for a brief moment.
- When Tai and Agumon begin running towards the streetcar, Tai's goggles are colored blue instead of white (for a brief moment) and the stars on his shirt are yellow instead of orange.
- Before Tai and Agumon enter the streetcar, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing.
- When aboard the train, the sole of Tai's shoe is yellow instead of blue.
- In a shot of Tai with the fish, the black band on his left arm is missing.
- In a shot of Biyomon and Tentomon eating a fruit, the ring on Biyomon's left leg is colored pink instead of grey and Tentomon's mouth is red instead of green.
- When Tai talks to Sora about Matt and T.K.'s relationship, the stars on his shirt are colored yellow instead of orange.
- When Joe talks to Tai and Sora about the constellations, the blue sections on the upper-part of Tai's shoes are missing.
- In a shot of Palmon and Gomamon sleeping, Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- When Tai, Izzy and Joe are deciding who will keep watch, Gabumon's body is the same color as his fur coat.
- When Tai tells Gabumon to give him his fur coat, Tai's gloves are miscolored and one of Gabumon's toenails is colored yellow instead of white.
- When the group watch Tai and Matt quarrel, Agumon's eye is missing its outline.
- In a shot of the group through a mirror, Biyomon's left wing is colored white instead of pink, the tips at her feather-tail are red instead of blue and Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- When Tai walks over Seadramon's tail, the upper part of his body is missing.
- When Tai walks towards Matt, the soles of his shoes are completely white.
- When Matt stands up after the island starts trembling, Gabumon's toenails are colored violet instead of white.
- In a shot of Matt and Gabumon looking at Seadramon, Gabumon's left ear is blue with a yellow tip.
- In a shot of the group in the streetcar, Biyomon's foot behind Palmon is light green with purple toenails.
- In a shot of Izzy and Tentomon before Seadramon's analysis, the red areas of Tentomon's body are a lighter tone.
- In a shot of the group outside of the streetcar, Mimi's belt is the same color as her dress and Biyomon's right foot is colored pink instead of yellow.
- When Seadramon pulls the island away from the shore of the lake, his jaw is shown as yellow instead of white.
- In a shot of Tai, Izzy and their Digimon, the yellow stripes on Tai's shirt are missing and Tentomon's left claw is red instead of gray.
- When Seadramon stops pulling the island, part of the outline of Agumon's eyes is missing and the lower sides of Tentomon's head are green instead of red.
- In a shot of Tentomon flying, his upper arms and thighs are colored red instead of green.
- When Biyomon and Patamon use their attacks against Seadramon, part of the outline of Biyomon's eyes is missing.
- When Seadramon is hit by Agumon's Pepper Breath attack, the outline of his left eye is missing.
- In a side shot of Seadramon, the inside part of his mouth is colored white instead of red.
- When Matt waves his arm in the air, a space between his hair and his arm is briefly the same color as his hair.
- When Matt is blaming himself, the neck of his sleeveless shirt is the same color as his skin.
- In a shot of Matt being squeezed by Seadramon's tail, his gloves are missing.
- In a second shot of Matt being squeezed by Seadramon's tail, his arms are the same color as his shirt.
- When Gabumon starts glowing, his toenails are colored violet instead of white.
- When Garurumon runs after his digivolution sequence, the scleras of his eyes are missing.
- When Matt swims while Garurumon is biting Seadramon, the red rings on Seadramon's body are missing.
- In a shot of Seadramon in pain, the red ring on his body is the same color as his body.
- When Tentomon admits he does not know what the legendary metal, the black marking between his eyes are gray and his upper arms and right thighs are red instead of green.
- When Tentomon appears upside down, the sides of his head are green instead of red and his upper arms and thighs are red instead of green.
- When the group watch Seadramon use his Ice Blast attack, Sora's belt is the same color as her pants and Tentomon's right upper-arm is colored red.
- When the others pass by laughing, the red and gray of Sora's shoes are the wrong way round.
- When Izzy wonders why only Gabumon digivolved, one of the stripes at Tai's shirt is missing.
- In a shot of Sora and Izzy sitting, the cuff of Sora's left glove is the same color as her hair.
- In a shot of everyone but Tai sleeping, Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- In the Original Version, Tai suggests that the girls don't have to keep watch, but in the dub, Tai suggest that each member stands guard for an hour.
- When Tai is talking mischievously to Gabumon, he originally asks to use his fur as a blanket, wanting to see what he looks like underneath. In the dub, he jokingly tells Gabumon that Mimi might try to steal it to use as a blanket while he was asleep.
- The music Matt plays with the harmonica is different.
- Matt tells Tai that he and T.K. are half brothers in the English dub, when in actual fact, their parents are simply divorced. Though, the English dub later changes to this idea.
- The question that Tai originally asks Matt, regarding his relationship with and T.K., is why their surnames are different. The English dub simply has him asking why Matt treats him more like a bother than a brother.
- In the Japanese episodes, more respect is shown to the kids in higher grades such as Joe, from kids in lower grades such as Sora, as is the norm in Japanese culture. The honorific -senpai is a term used by Sora as a sign of respect whenever she mentions Joe's name.
- Tai wonders whether the trolley on the island will take them back home. In "The Fate of Two Worlds", the same trolley is used to return the children to the Real World.
- Garurumon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- The events of this episode, and the past two episodes, take place on the same day, so this is the first night spent in the Digital World by the kids.
- This episode shows Tai and Matt get into a fight—the first sign of a rivalry between the two, which would continue throughout most of the series.
- The appearance of the Monochromon in this episode shows for the first time that there can be more than one Digimon of the same species.
- In the English dub, as the children run towards the trolley car Mimi wonders if it will take them back home. This is actually what happens 51 episodes later.