| "Guardian Angel" |
(Hikari no Kioku)
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) May 14, 2000|
(En:) September 9, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Atsushi Maekawa|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroyuki Kakudou|
| Chief Anim.|
The group are forced to retreat from an intense battle, and Kari ends up stranded in the Digital World. So the Digimon Emperor decides to send in one of his most powerful servants to deal with her.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Davis: "There must be a hundred of 'em!"
Yolei: "Wow, you counted that high without even taking off your shoes and socks."
- —Yolei mocking Davis as the group face off against an army of Guardromon.
"Ouch! Say, shouldn't we put pillows here if we're gonna keep going this?"
- —Yolei recognizes that, despite all their practice, returning from the Digital World doesn't gets any easier.
Davis: "Wait a second. Where did Kari go?"
Cody: "She's trapped! In the Digital World!"
- —Not that much different from the original DigiDestined who previously were stranded in the Digital World.
Davis: "T.K., wasn't Kari right behind you when you went into the gate from the Digital World?"
T.K.: "Mm hm."
Davis: "Then it's all your fault! Why didn't you let her go first?!"
Cody: "Stop! It was no one's fault! It just happened!"
Davis: "What do you know?! You're a little kid!"
Cody: "Yeah, but I still know when someone's being a jerk!"
Davis: "Uh, I guess that's me."
T.K.: "Truth is, Davis is right."
Davis and Cody: "Huh?"
T.K.: "It really was my fault. I should've been watching out for her all along."
Davis: "Well, I guess I could've, too."
Cody: "So could I. That's what I mean. There's no one to blame."
- —The DigiDestined play the blame game.
"This was a great idea, crossing the desert without any water!"
- —Davis is being sarcastic, unaware that T.K. has experience in walking through the desert, from his first trip to the Digital World.
Davis: "Okay, if it's tails, I rescue Kari. If it's heads, you get to go. Tails! I'll tell her that you were worried about her and that you-"
T.K.: "Huh, a coin that has tails on both sides. That's how I used to beat Matt."
- —T.K. one up against Davis.
Davis: "Did you really use one of those coins on Matt?"
T.K.: "Yeah, that's how I got all his baseball cards and his old guitar."
- —Davis and T.K. bond over a trick coin.
"Human girls make human boys act sort of weird."
- —Veemon is very observant.
"Kari's at a friend's house doing a science project on gravity, and they need to see how long I can stand on my head. See ya!"
- —Tai gives a valid excuse to his mother before he leaves to rescue his sister.
"Oh, I forgot! I left Mimi on hold when she called from New York. Her phone bill!"
- —Matt, better late than never.
T.K.: "Angemon! I haven't seen you in a while."
Davis: "An- An- Angemon?"
Veemon: "Hi there... big guy..."
- —Angemon's first appearance in Digimon Adventure 02.
"You know, those control spires really ruin my day."
- —Patamon cannot maintain his Champion level when a spire is near.
Davis: "So besides armor digivolving, Patamon can also digivolve to Angemon? What about Gatomon?"
T.K.: "Well, she can digivolve to Angewomon."
Davis: "You're kidding me! Angemon AND Angewomon?"
Patamon: "That's right! We make a great team!"
Davis: "One question, is there an Angebabymon, too?"
Patamon: "Sometimes he says the weirdest things!"
Davis: "Veemon! Tell me right now if you can digivolve into Ange-something, too. Angedinosaurmon, Angesoccerplayermon?"
Veemon: "I just don't have it in me!"
T.K.: "He's still got a lot to learn."
- —Davis' jealously reaches a whole new level.
Jun: "I promise not to tell my parents you were lying if you promise to go out on a date with me, okay? See you Friday at eight!"
Matt: "...How did THAT happen?"
- —Poor Matt.
"Please hold for the Digimon Emperor. Line 1 for you, sir."
- —Wormmon takes messages for his master.
Kari: "Hey Davis! T.K.! You guys are my heroes!
Davis: "Actually, it was mostly my idea, but I decided to bring T.K. alone for the ride!"
- —Davis, humble as ever, but T.K. doesn't let it get to him now that Kari is safe.
"Why can't these guys ever be small?"
- —Davis asks a question that is as old as time itself when faced with Andromon for the first time.
"I'll have two cheeseburgers and a large order of fries..."
- —Patamon gets his butt handed to him by Andromon.
"Faces... long ago... DigiDestined... I love jigsaw puzzles... Now I see the complete picture."
- —Andromon loves jigsaw puzzles apparently.
Izzy: "Matt just called and told me what had happened with Kari. And I'm really upset that you guys have left me out of the loop. Cody called Tai for help, and Tai called Matt, but no one ever calls me until the adventure is all over with!"
Tai: "Come on, Izzy, don't be like that. There was just no time to call you. You know you're a big part of the team."
Izzy: "That's right! And as a team member, I expect to be treated with the same respect I give to all of you! I may not be as strong as you or Matt, but I've gotten us out of just as many jams with my particular skills."
Tai: "I'm sorry I didn't call you."
Izzy: "Now that's what I call respect. Okay, I forgive you."
Tai: "Wow! That was easy."
- —Tai knows there's no predicting Izzy when he gets like this.
"Prodigious little devices, aren't they?"
- —Izzy's catchphrase makes a comeback as he talks about the D-3s.
"Our parents are waiting for us! The food's probably cold and soggy by now. Of course, for my mom, that's an improvement!"
- —Tai can't leave his mother's cooking alone for a minute.
- When Angemon entered an area with a control spire, he immediately de-digivolved to Patamon because of it, so how come Greymon and Garurumon were able to destroy the control spires in new areas without doing the same thing?
- In a shot of the Digimon Emperor in his chair and Wormmon, the white section at the side of the Digimon Emperor's leg is colored blue instead
- In a close-up shot of the Digimon Emperor in his control room, the yellow stripes on his cape are white.
- After jumping over the Guardromon, the black areas of Flamedramon's eyes are white.
- In a shot of Kari and Gatomon standing up, after Gatomon de-digivolves, the inner part of Gatomon's ear is completely pink.
- When Andromon deflects Digmon's Gold Rush attack, the black part of his right shoulder joint is colored like his flesh.
- During one shot of Andromon holding Kari, a square section of his left arm normally colored gray is instead yellow.
- When Kari's D-3 falls out, it can be seen going through her camera.
- When Andromon uses his Gatling Attack to destroy the control spire, the scleras of his eyes are missing.
- When Andromon's Lightning Blade collides with Flamedramon's Fire Rocket, Flamedramon degenerates to Veemon before the flash of light normally accompanying degeneration appears.
- At the beginning of the episode, when all the Digimon fire their attacks at a control spire, the moment the spire collapses was removed from later English dub airings due to similarities with 9/11, although the spire is still shown splitting apart.
- When Patamon digivolves to Angemon in the English dub, the words "Digivolve into Ultimate" are heard, even though Angemon is actually a Champion Digimon.
- When Andromon fires his Gatling Attack at a control spire, a shot of the projectiles striking the spire was removed from later English dub airings, also due to similarities with 9/11.
- In the English dub, Matt's realization that he forgot to cook his father's dinner is replaced with the realization that he left Mimi's call on hold. Later, Hiroaki questioning Matt about why he arrived home late is replaced with a conversation about Matt's upcoming date with Jun.
- The English dub identifies Izzy's American friend as Willis, in an attempt to tie the English version of Digimon Hurricane Landing!!/Transcendent Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals into the anime's continuity.
- Kari announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- This the first episode to use a new digivolution sequence featuring one of the D-3 digivices (as opposed to those used by the original DigiDestined).