The Holy Ring (ホーリーリング Hōrī Ringu?) is a golden ring, of varying size and shape, that is worn by several Digimon and marks them as Holy-species Digimon. These rings give the Digimon great power relative to their holiness and where they are worn, but if the Digimon loses its holiness, either by falling from grace like Cherubimon (Evil) or by being possessed like Tapirmon in Digimon Frontier, it also loses its Holy Rings. Holy Rings are inscribed with DigiCode which reads (デジタルモンスター Dejitaru Monsutā?, lit. "Digital Monster").
Gatomon's Holy Ring, which she also calls her "tail ring", gives her the power of a Champion; without it she is as weak as a Rookie. During the Digimon Emperor's initial invasion against the Digital World, Gatomon flees from a Unimon brainwashed by the Emperor's Dark Rings, but she loses her tail ring when the Unimon catches it with his hoof. The loss of the tail ring lowers Gatomon's power to the point that she can armor digivolve like the other DigiDestined partners, and when Gennai later finds it, he uses its holy power to hold back the darkness encroaching upon the Digital World, and to allow the DigiDestined to DNA digivolve.
Shortly after Arukenimon creates BlackWarGreymon, the DigiDestined decide to search for Gatomon's tail ring, in order to re-empower her. Kari, Yolei, and Ken fall through a hole to the Dark Ocean while searching, but Gatomon and Aquilamon are able to DNA digivolve to Silphymon to save them from a Blossomon created by Arukenimon.
Just after the battle with MaloMyotismon ends, Gennai returns the tail ring to Gatomon and explains what he had used it for.
Three months later, after Omnimon is defeated by Armageddemon, he forms his excess data into a Holy Ring while ejecting an exhausted Agumon and Gabumon. The Holy Ring, filled with the hopes of everyone watching the battle, flies toward Imperialdramon Fighter Mode while further transforming into the Omni Sword, and when Imperialdramon grasps the miraculous blade he is immediately transformed into the immensely powerful Imperialdramon Paladin Mode.
When a Bakumon attacks the DigiDestined, Neemon notices that it is not wearing its Holy Ring, and Bokomon explains that Digimon that have fallen under the control of evil beings like Cherubimon cannot wear Holy Rings. Bakumon regains his Holy Ring after Agunimon purifies him and releases him from Cherubimon's control.
Digimon World Data Squad
List of Digimon with Holy Rings
- Angewomon (one on left ankle)
- Chaosmon (one on right forearm)
- Cherubimon (Good) (two; one on each ear)
- Gatomon (one on tail)
- Gatomon X (one around chest)
- Goldramon (one on left forearm)
- Goldramon X (one on left forearm)
- Hououmon (two; one on each ankle)
- Kudamon (2006 anime) (one around neck)
- Liollmon (one around neck)
- Lucemon (four; one on each wrist and ankle)
- MagnaAngemon (one on right wrist)
- MarineAngemon (one around neck)
- Parrotmon (two; one on each wrist)
- Rapidmon (Armor) (two; one on each thigh)
- Salamon (one around neck)
- Salamon X (one around neck)
- Tapirmon (one on left foreleg)
- UltimateKhaosmon (one on left wrist)