| "Old Reliable" |
(Dāku Tawā wo Taose)
"Destroy the Dark Tower"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) April 30, 2000|
(En:) September 2, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Reiko Yoshida|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
| Chief Anim.|
An unwise attempt to stand up to the Digimon Emperor leaves Gomamon in a terrible state, but he manages to send out a distress signal, which is picked up by his old partner Joe, and the other DigiDestined.
After being abused by the Digimon Emperor as the Gizamon went under the Digimon Emperor's spell, Gomamon sends a alert to Joe. He and the other DigiDestined go to the DigiWorld, only to find Gomamon buried in the snow. They decide to destroy the Control Spire in the area so they build a sled out of trees so that they can cross the cold snow field to get to it. The Digimon Emperor realizes what they intend to do and sends Frigimon after them. They pass the Frigimon easily but Cody catches a cold and Joe stays with him while the others go after the Spire. Armidillomon comes along and Armor Digivolves to Digmon to fight an easy-to-beat Shellmon, but Ebidramon causes some trouble. While Digmon defended Cody, the others destroy the Spire. Gomamon Digivolves to Ikkakumon, frees Digmon and destroys Ebidramon. The DigiDestined return home with Gomamon’s promise to protect the area.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"No. 1: don't ever talk to me without calling me 'sir'. No. 2: don't ever talk to me!"
- —The Digimon Emperor lays down the law for Gomamon.
"I've just gotta climb up this little hill... Okay, maybe it's not such a little hill after all."
- —Gomamon goes to get help from Joe and the new DigiDestined.
"I just remembered that I forgot to remember something."
- —Joe's excuses need a little work.
"Practice later! The DigiWorld's in danger!"
- —Davis tries to get Cody to put his responsibilities to the team first.
Davis: "Really? You and I? Together? All alone in the dangerous Digital World? Finally! It'll be like my dream come true!"
Kari: "Excuse me?"
Davis: "I said I'm studying French. Parlez-vous?"
- —Davis is not as smooth with the ladies as he thinks he is.
"Well, this should add to our frequent flier miles."
- —Kari comments on the distress call from Gomamon.
Upamon: "One question: what's kendo? AAH! What did you hit me for?!"
Davis: "You wanted to know what kendo is!"
- —Upamon asked the wrong person for a simple definition.
"I have been to many lands and met many people, and in all my travels, I have found only one thing I can count on... PRUNE JUICE!!"
- —Cody's grandfather's wise yet mysterious ways.
"People will rely on you only to the extent that you rely on yourself."
- —Grandpa Hida is wise beyond his years. And that's saying something.
"No problem is too big for prune juice."
Upamon: "Cody! You-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-you-made-it-"
Cody: "You're going to have to forgive him. He's hyperactive."
- —Cody makes the same excuse about Upamon that Sora once made about Joe in the previous series.
"Hey! I'm freezing my goggles off and you're introducing yourself?"
- —Davis can't believe Cody's timing.
"Boy, leave it to you! Good old reliable Joe!"
- —T.K. comments on Joe's readiness for any situation.
Joe: "What day of the week is it?"
Gomamon: "It's Saturday?"
Joe: "Actually, it's Thursday, but you never did know the day, so I guess you're back to you're old self."
- —Joe and Gomamon quickly reconnect after being apart for so long.
"Now I know what Matt means when he says I'm walking on thin ice."
- —T.K. observes the terrain the team must cross to reach the spire.
Yolei: "Boy, that Joe really comes prepared."
Kari: "That's nothing. Wait until you see him during hay fever season."
- —Kari reflects on Joe's many allergies.
Cody: "I feel... I should be out there helping the others."
Joe: "I know exactly what you're feeling. I used to feel that way, too, but I thought it was nausea. And then I slowly began to realize something. All of us are here for a reason. There's a big picture that we can't see yet, and I don't mean a wide screen TV. So, us staying behind is for a reason."
- —Joe imparts on Cody the lesson he took from his time in the Digital World.
"That's the Great Gomamon Charm?"
- —Joe is about as impressed by Gomamon's jokes as Shellmon.
Gomamon: "You have no sense of humor!"
Joe: "Try the knock-knock jokes!"
- —Joe and Gomamon are still a team, even after the time they've been apart.
Joe: "They did it! They destroyed the control spire! Now you can digivolve!"
Digimon Emperor: "What?!"
Wormmon: "He said, 'they destroyed the control spire, now you can digivolve.'"
Digimon Emperor: "It's just a figure of speech!"
- —Moments after the control spire falls.
"Great, a frozen wasteland. Just what I always wanted."
- —Gomamon becomes protector of the icy sector of the Digital World.
Kari: "You know, Cody reminds me an awful lot of Joe—always honest and sticks to the rules."
T.K.: "I think he reminds me of Izzy—just loaded with curiosity."
Joe: "Part Izzy and part me? That's a scary combination."
- —Joe may be right, but T.K. and Kari make a good point.
Digimon Emperor: "Wormmon, what is Plan B?... Well?"
Wormmon: "We can all become friends?"
Digimon Emperor: "That's not Plan B, you fool!"
Wormmon: "Don't blame me! I can't spell!"
- —Wormmon is a pitiable character next to the Digimon Emperor.
- In the English dub, when Flamedramon attacks for a second time, rather than saying "Fire Rocket", he says "Flamedramon, the Fire of Courage", which is what he usually says after digivolution.
- When the Control Spire is destroyed, the dark ring controlling Ebidramon should have been deactivated.
- In the Malay dub, Joe's family name is mistakenly introduced as "Shiroto".
- When the Digimon Emperor raises his whip to strike the Gizamon, a blue part of his right sleeve turns white for a brief moment.
- In the original version, when T.K. and Kari notice Joe, they both open their mouths to say his name, though only T.K.'s voice is heard.
- When the group are telling Joe about the control spire, a section under Veemon's left eye is colored white instead of blue.
- When the group pass by the Frigimon, they do not have red eyes.
- As the group are turning away from the avalanche, the upper part of the avalanche jumps to the top of the screen for a brief moment.
- When Cody approaches Shellmon, Digmon briefly disappears from Shellmon's hand.
- In a close-up side shot of Cody being protected by Digmon, Digmon's right lower arm is yellow underneath where it should be black.
- When Digmon uses his Gold Rush attack against Shellmon, his left arm is light gray where it should be black.
- When Pegasusmon is about to destroy the Dark Spiral T.K. is not on his back where he should be.
- When Ebidramon pulls Digmon into the water, Digmon's eyes become yellow instead of black for a brief moment. Also, at the end of the same shot, Digmon's arms become yellow where they should be black.
- In the forementioned shot, when Cody and Joe run towards the water, Cody's shirt is colored purple like the one he wears in the real world.
- Before Gomamon digivolves, the blue and white of the Digimon Emperor's right sleeve are the wrong way around and his left arm is completely blue.
- When Ikkakumon enters into the water, Cody's shirt is purple again.
- When Digmon uses his Gold Rush attack against Ebidramon, it looks like he's standing on the surface of the water.
- When Davis slides into the shot next to Kari during Cody and Joe's final conversation, the white sections of his sleeves are colored blue.
- The herbal tea that Joe offered Cody for his cold in the English dub was originally cold medicine.
- When Gomamon distracts Shellmon, he's originally taunting him, rather than telling jokes, as he does in the English dub.
- Cody excuses Upamon for being hyperactive to Joe. A similar statement was said about Joe in "The Battle For Earth".
- Cody announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- If closed captioning is displayed, it reads that T.K. is saying, "I bet he's home crying, 'Mommy! Those mean kids broke another one of my spires! Waahh!'". It was actually Davis who said this.