| "Piedmon's Last Jest" |
"The Holy Swordsman, HolyAngemon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) March 12, 2000|
(En:) May 20, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Hiro Masaki|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Takenori Kawada|
| Chief Anim.|
Just when it seems like they have the upper hand, Piedmon begins turning the kids and their Digimon into key chains, leaving T.K. and Patamon as the group's last hope.
MetalGarurumon returns and fighting alongside WarGreymon they take on Piedmon. After some tricky attacks from the Hell Clown, both Mega Digimon seem to have the upper-hand in the fight. Just as everyone else is about to digivolve, Piedmon pulls out a white cloth and the confused DigiDestined don’t know what to think of it. He quickly throws the cloth which grows into a huge sheet that covers the Mega Digimon. Tai and Matt are covered with a sheet when they run to their partners. Piedmon then removes the sheets to show that they have seemingly "disappeared". He then reveals they have been turned into key chain figurines. The other children try to run away while Andromon holds him off but he too gets turned into a figurine.
The only way the group is able to escape is by using trapezes placed over a large chasm. As they attempt this, Joe, Izzy and Tentomon are captured. While the rest hide terrified, Piedmon stalks them in a sadistic game of hide and seek. When Piedmon attacks, Garudamon and Angewomon hold him off to give the others time but are captured and transfigured into figurines.
Once finding temporary safety, Sora charges T.K to take Kari and run. T.K., Kari, Patamon and Gomamon start to flee the area, however, Gomamon decides to stay with Sora to fight back. She tells him, he stands no chance against the demon jester and to help T.K and Kari, along with Patamon. As Gomamon reluctantly turns to leave, Piedmon bursts into the passageway from the floor. As he brags that they will all become part of his collection, Gomamon snatches the figurine of Matt and throws it to Sora, who throws it to T.K and is then turned into a "doll" herself. T.K, Kari and Patamon escape through the door at the end of the corridor, while Gomamon (ofscreen) is turned into a figurine himself. As the rest of the group has fallen prey to Piedmon's demonic abilities, the only ones left are T.K, Kari and Patamon (excluding Mimi, Lillymon and those with them who are not present at the site of the battle yet).
While the two of the remaining children try to escape up a rope, Piedmon catches up to them and Patamon digivolves into Angemon to try to fight him off. Unfortunately he is easily defeated and Piedmon then cuts the rope, climbing after the two children. When Piedmon attempts to take T.K, Kari grabs onto him (T.K), despite T.K imploring her to let him go for her own safety. Kari refuses to let him go, so Piedmon cuts the rope further, causing T.K. and Kari to fall. As they fall, T.K. clutches the keychain form of Matt and after hearing the encouraging words of his older brother, he is reminded that hope remains. His Crest begins to glow and Angemon finally digivolves into MagnaAngemon, who catches the two falling children and places them safely on the ground. He flies up to deal with Piedmon, who throws a sheet at the former. The archangel slices the sheet in two and delivers a single slash to Piedmon using his Excalibur sword. He recovers the keychains and sends Piedmon hurtling away, seemingly to death.
MagnaAngemon then returns every key chain into the Digimon and Humans they once were using his "Magna Antidote" ability. They think it's all over until Piedmon resurfaces with hundreds of Vilemon soldiers. Just then, Mimi and Lillymon arrive with an army composed of the Digimon the children had earlier befriended. The partner Digimon digivolve to their highest forms and, alongside their allies, fight back against the Vilemon. After they've been softened up, MagnaAngemon opens his "Gate of Destiny" to suck in the Vilemon horde, at which point WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon corner Piedmon and blast him into the void as well, defeating him for good, causing the last remnant of Spiral Mountain to disappear. The reinforcements Mimi brought along return home. As light begins to return to the world, Izzy gets a message from Gennai telling them that the Dark Masters were never the real enemy, that the real enemy is the one who created the Dark Masters. Just then, the ground shakes, the sky grows dark and the DigiDestined soon realize that the fight is not over.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
| Special Move|
|MagnaAngemon: "I am MagnaAngemon. I have eight shining wings and a beam shield. I wield the mighty sword, Excalibur, and my devastating attack is the Gate of Destiny."|
| Little Demon|
| Special Move|
|Piedmon: "This is more fun than a barrel of monkeys! DigiDestined, meet the Vilemon! Their Nightmare Shocks will give you a rude awakening!"|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Joe: "A white flag? Maybe he's trying to surrender."
- —Joe, trying to be optimistic for once.
Piedmon: "Ta da! Thanks for coming, next show's at seven thirty, you've been a great crowd! Good night!"
Joe: "He made them all disappear!"
'Tentomon:' "Well, at least he didn't saw them in half."
- —Tentomon makes a very good point about the disappearance of Tai, Matt, along with their Digimon.
"What kind of sicko turns people into keychains?!"
- —Sora is unable to believe how low Piedmon would stoop to defeat the DigiDestined.
"What do you carry in that backpack. Bricks?"
- —Gatomon comments on T.K.'s weight as she swings him across the chasm.
"Hello my name is Izzy & I'm very smart, although I didn't know how to stop me & my friends from being turned into keychains."
- —Piedmon mocking Izzy after turning him into a keychain figurine.
Lilymon: "Mimi, I'm getting exhausted!"
Mimi: "Really? That's strange. I feel fresh as a daisy."
- —Mimi fails to realize that Lilymon is doing all the work.
"[thinking] Sora told me to be brave, no matter how scared I get. [aloud] Looks dangerous. You go first."
- —T.K. decides bravery can wait a little longer.
T.K.: "Let go, Kari, or he'll get you, too!"
Kari: "No, I won't let you go, T.K.!"
Piedmon: "Sounds like you two are falling for each other."
- —T.K. and Kari struggle to protect each other as Piedmon makes another pun.
Piedmon: "Chew on this!"
MagnaAngemon: "I'm not hungry!"
- —MagnaAngemon mocking Piedmon after cutting his fabric in two.
"You know, I'm starting to think we have a strange looking group of friends."
- —Tai and the others say goodbye to their Digimon allies after the battle.
Izzy: "Gennai says here that the Dark Masters aren't the real enemies."
Izzy: "It says here that the real enemy is an evil force who's very presence warps the DigiWorld and created the Dark Masters. So, according to this, I don't think we're out of the woods quite yet!"
Tai: "Wait a sec! If it's not the Dark Masters, then who do we fight next?"
- —Tai is about to get the answer to his question.
- When Angemon digivolves to MagnaAngemon in the English dub, the words "warp digivolve" can be heard, implying that he is moving up by more than one level, when in actuality, Angemon is only moving from Champion to Ultimate.
- When trapped by Piedmon's fire ring, the black areas of MetalGarurumon's eyes are white.
- After Tai, Matt and their Digimon disappear, Tentomon looks around for them and the black spots between his eyes are gray.
- When Andromon uses his Gatling Attack on Piedmon, Piedmon's pants are red instead of green.
- When Sora, T.K. and Kari are hiding under some floorboards, Kari's whistle and the buttons on her shirt are missing.
- Just before Patamon digivolves to Angemon, part of Kari's left shoe is red instead of white.
- In a number of shots, some of the characters' keychains are either miscolored or missing parts.
- In the Japanese version, when Angemon is digivolving into MagnaAngemon, one of the caption's spelling his Japanese name, Holy Angemon, is missing a letter 'Y' at the end of the sequence (this error is present in all later uses of the sequence, including the next series).
- After the Vilemon get sucked into MagnaAngemon's Gate of Destiny, Piedmon's lips are white for a brief moment, instead of red.
- When the other Digimon say goodbye to the DigiDestined, Ogremon has red bands on both of his legs, rather than just his right leg.
- During the fight between Angemon and Piedmon, the parts where Piedmon strikes Angemon against the chest with one of his swords as well as when Angemon pokes Piedmon in the head with his staff were removed.
- In the Japanese series, whilst all other Digivolution sequences are accompanied by the song "Brave heart", Angemon's evolution to MagnaAngemon is accompanied by the Adiago movement from Joaquín Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez.
- Piedmon comments on the Vilemon, saying "This is more fun than a barrel of flying monkeys!". This provides reference to the film The Wizard of Oz.
- MagnaAngemon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- Patamon is the last of the Chosen Digimon to digivolve to his Ultimate stage, just as he was the last to digivolve to his Champion form of Angemon.
- By the end of this episode, all the kids' Digimon are in their highest digivolved forms (that were reached in this series).
- This episode marks the end of the Dark Masters organisation.