| "Princess Karaoke" |
(Nemureru Boukun! TonosamaGekomon)
"The Sleeping Tyrant! TonosamaGekomon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) August 29, 1999|
(En:) November 6, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Akatsuki Yamatoya|
(En:) Ardwight Chamberlain, J.M. Morris
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
| Chief Anim.|
Tai and Joe discover Mimi being waited on as a princess by some music-loving Digimon, who hope to awaken their master from a deep sleep using the power of Mimi's voice.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"How do they get their mail?"
- —Joe is back to climbing stairs and back to complaining.
"We should have known it was Mimi."
- —Tai, Agumon, Joe, and Gomamon learn the identity of the spoiled princess.
"And you want me to give this up? I don't think so!"
- —Mimi doesn't want to give up being a princess.
"Get down off that high horse of yours and shift your rear into high gear!"
- —Tai can't tolerate Mimi's attitude.
"Whoa! Somebody's had a few too many donuts!"
- —Tai sees Shogunmon for the first time.
"Sorry, I forgot the words!"
"You know, this place is too dark. How about we get a disco ball and some spotlights, huh? And, of course, we'll need hair, makeup, and costumes."
"I'm tired. Let's pick it up tomorrow."
- —Mimi is a princess of excuses.
Tai: "Just leave it to me guys, I've got it!"
Gekomon: "I knew it! I knew you would come through!"
Joe: "What are you thinking, Tai?"
Tai: "Well who says you need Mimi to wake up Jumbo? Crank it up and let me take a shot!"
Others: "You?! Aha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"
Tai: "What'cha laughin' at?"
- —Tai has... an overestimated assessment of his own singing.
Mimi: "I wanna sing a song, a song that'll wake you up, and when you hear my voice, you'll call me a sweet buttercup. Just give me a listen, hmm-hmm-hmm, uh—Sorry, I forgot the words!"
- —Mimi auditioning her original song and almost awakening Shogunmon. Almost.
Tai: "I'm gonna sing a song, a song that will wake you up, I'm gonna belt it now! Shogunmon, It's time to get UP!!!!!"
Joe: "I'm attempting to sing a song, a song that'll awaken you and aid all the Gekomon that are loyal to your world view and the idea of you being in charge. I'm attempting to sing a song, a song that'll awaken you and aid all the Gekomon..."
Agumon and Gomamon: "I croon this song to you! A tune from now until June! When you hear us sing, you'll call us singing buffoons! We just wanna wake you! So don't close your ears! Or you can sleep for years!"
- — Tai's, Joe's, and Agumon and Gomamon's version of Mimi's song.
"After that, he might not wake up for another 300 years."
- —Tai's view on their failed singing experiment.
Mimi: "So you thought you could pull a fast one on Princess Mimi did you?"
Tai: "That's Princess Meanie!"
- —Tai and Joe's attempt to trick Mimi into singing has landed them, their partner Digimon & Palmon in the dungeon.
Tai: "Is she gonna chop off our heads?"
Joe: "Don't even joke."
- —Tai and Joe wonder what Mimi has in store for them now.
Mimi: "Oh...won't anybody help me? Palmon, don't leave me!"
Sora: "Hey, Mimi."
Mimi: "Where am I? What?"
Sora: "Do you have any idea what that horrible dream was trying to tell you, Mimi?"
Mimi: "I'm sorry! Oh, I really am!"
Sora: "Well, then you know what you have to do to make things right."
Sora: "'Atta girl. I knew you'd find yourself again."
Mimi: "The Crest? Sora?"
- —Sora gives Mimi a pep talk, finally teaching her the meaning of sincerity.
"I wanna sing a song,
A song to bring Shogunmon around.
When he hears my voice,
I hope he likes the sound.
He has to listen,
Listen to my sincere heart.
I've learned that friends are friends,
Even when they're apart.
I've asked my friends to forgive me
From the bottom of my heart!
If it's my choice,
His eyes will open wide.
And the Gekomon will be cheering,
Cheering with pride-"
- —Mimi sings her heart, and her heart is sincere.
"You wanna hear some singing?! The ground will shake, when you hear the noise I make, because I'm glad to be awake! YAAAGH!!"
"Now it's show time! Now why'd ya try that? Because I'll knock you flat, and now you're gonna feel it! YAAAGH!!"
- —Shogunmon bringing a new definition to the term "flat note".
- According to an earlier English dub episode, Togemon in Toy Town, Mimi is an awful singer. However, this episode places emphasis on Mimi having a great singing voice.
- After being thrown in the dungeon, Tai asks Mimi if she's forgotten about the Crest of Sincerity, even though the name of the crest, along with the others, isn't revealed to the DigiDestined until the next episode.
- After being thrown out by the Gekomon, when Joe pushes his glasses up, his watch is on his right arm, rather than his left.
- When Tai stops singing, his socks are colored gray instead of white.
- When the group cover their ears in response to Agumon and Gomamon's singing, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing.
- Just after Mimi leaves the others locked in the dungeon, a view of the length of the dungeon pathway shows Palmon in front of a brick wall on one side of the prison cell (the side that she should be behind), though she is still seen behind the metal bars of the cell.
- In Mimi's nightmare, Etemon's fingernails are orange instead of white.
- Before Mimi sings her song, Palmon is shown with her fingers completely purple.
- As Shogunmon jumps towards Tai, Joe and the others, the webbed parts of his hands are orange instead of yellow.
- The opening sequence is missing various sound effects, such as when Angemon and Devimon appear.
- The song sung by Mimi in the original episode is the Japanese ending theme, I Wish, rather than a song about trying to sing a song. In fact, the next episode was the last one in which this ending theme would be used (in the Japanese series).
- The title of this episode is a pun on Princess Mononoke, a film from Studio Ghibli.
- Tai's line "Is she gonna chop off our heads?" might be a reference to Queen of Hearts from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
- Shogunmon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- The episode was first aired in English with the typo "Karoake" instead of "Karaoke". This was corrected for the re-runs.
- Otamamon, Gekomon and Shogunmon are all from the same evolutionary line, being Rookie, Champion and Ultimate, respectively.