| "The Battle for Earth" |
(Ni Daikyūkyoku Shinka! Yami wo Buttobase!)
"Two Great Ultimate Evolutions! Get Rid of the Darkness!"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) December 5, 1999|
(En:) February 19, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Atsushi Maekawa|
(En:) Mark Ryan, Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Junji Shimizu|
| Chief Anim.|
VenomMyotismon is finally defeated, though things only get weirder as strange images of the Digital World appear in the sky, suggesting that something is terribly wrong.
With new found strength, the two Mega Digimon begin taking on VenomMyotismon. Things seem to be going well until VenomMyotismon is cut open to reveal a powerful energy source, which pushes the Digimon away. But at that point, the kids' crests shoot beams of light, binding VenomMyotismon, and giving WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon a clear shot at the weakpoint—Myotismon is finally defeated. As things begin to return to normal, everyone's relieved, until the vanishing fog reveals something even stranger in the night sky. It's an upsidedown image of the familiar landmass that Izzy later identifies as the Digital World, showing that while the DigiDestined have been fighting Myotismon for only a few days centuries have passed in the Digital World revealing that something is terribly wrong. After rescuing a plane damaged by the image in the sky, the kids decide to head back to the Digital World right away to investigate and sort the problem out. Now they must face an evil that can bring forth more destruction and darkness than even Myotismon.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
| Dragon Man|
| Special Move|
|Izzy: "It's WarGreymon! It says here his attack is Terra Force—gathering the energy around him and focusing it in the palm of his hand!"|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"Good luck! I'll wait here."
- —Tentomon, afraid to fight VenomMyotismon.
"You'll have to excuse Joe. He's a little hyperactive."
- —Sora to Jim after Joe goes charging into battle.
"Things just keep getting weirder."
- —Tai is thrown by the image displayed across the sky.
"We kicked booty!"
- —Koromon's version of how they defeated VenomMyotismon.
Joe: "The first time we went to the Digital World, our digivices led us. You guys try it again."
Izzy: "You're coming too, Joe."
- —Joe, being his usual self.
"Next stop: the Digital World! Keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times!"
- —Tai as the DigiDestined prepare to return to the Digital World.
"Although it's hard to believe the fate of the world's in the hands of a bunch of kids like you, I guess if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow, we'll know you messed up!"
- —Jim, being encouraging.
"Don't worry! We'll all be back!"
- —Kari's departing words to friends and family alike.
- In the English dub, Kari claims that Salamon can't live with her because they don't allow pets in her apartment, despite her family already owning a cat.
- In a back shot of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon looking at VenomMyotismon, MetalGarurumon's left ear has a red tip.
- When Jim informs the kids that the adults are still in a trance, Palmon's fingers are completely purple.
- When Gomamon jumps on Joe's head, Mimi's left shoe is miscolored and Jim's clothes are a slightly different color.
- During the fight with VenomMyotismon, WarGreymon is supposedly thrown back by a huge rock, and he is heard grunting. However, upon closer inspection, the wing and pink sash of Angewomon are visible behind the rock. This error is only present in the English dub.
- Just before Tentomon joins the fight, Izzy's Digivice is purple (this should only happen when Tentomon has digivolved to his Ultimate form).
- When WarGreymon starts spinning for his Great Tornado attack, the red tubes on his body armor are gray.
- In a shot of Joe looking at the light emitting from his Crest, his watch is on his right arm.
- In an eight-way splitscreen shot of the DigiDestined yelling, the lower part of T.K.'s body seems to be missing, and part of Kari's right arm is in Joe's section.
- In a front shot of Birdramon flying towards the plane, her lower jaw is the same color as her upper jaw.
- When the DigiDestined gather their Digivices, Motimon is colored pale blue instead of pink.
- In a rolling shot of the DigiDestined with their Digivices, the zipper on Sora's shirt is missing.
- When Kabuterimon and Garudamon are finished rescuing the plane, Kabuterimon is depicted as MegaKabuterimon despite not being shown to have digivolved.
- The scene of VenomMyotismon hitting Angemon and sending him flying right into the side of a building was removed, and he is just shown in the side of a building.
- A scene of a large rock hitting Angewomon when she is momentarily distracted was removed.
- It is revealed in "Oikawa's Shame" that although VenomMyotismon was destroyed, his spirit entered a human, Yukio Oikawa, who desired to go to the Digital World along with the DigiDestined.
- It is later revealed that Cody Hida, one of the main characters in Digimon Adventure 02, was on the plane that is attacked by Kuwagamon in this episode.
- In the news report that Jim was watching, a Gorillamon appears. In Digimon Adventure 02, Michael said that a Gorillamon was attacking New York around the time that Myotismon was in Japan.
- Gomamon's "All for mon, and mon for all" is a direct parody of the phrase "One for all, and all for one", a quote made famous by the Three Musketeers.
- Images of Digimon in the Real World on the news (except Kuwagamon) seem to parody the film Destroy All Monsters:
- Tai and Matt announce the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- The Digivolution sequence for WarGreymon is themed around fire and Sun. Meanwhile, MetalGarurumon's sequence seems to contrast this, being themed around ice and Moon. This could be a reference to the ongoing rivalry between Tai and Matt, which comes as a result of their conflicting personalities.