| "The Crest of Friendship" |
(Jigoku no Doukeshi Piemon)
"Piemon, the Clown from Hell"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) March 5, 2000|
(En:) May 20, 2000
|Written by|| (Ja:) Genki Yoshimura|
(En:) Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Takao Yoshizawa|
| Chief Anim.|
As WarGreymon takes on Piedmon, the search continues for the other members of the group, and whilst Matt overcomes the darkness within him, Sora manages to fall victim to it.
Wandering down a dark cave, Matt begins to despair and feels that he has been a poor brother and friend. Despite Gabumon's protests, Matt thinks that Tai is better at being a brother to T.K. than he ever was. Matt tells Gabumon to go away and dismisses him. Gabumon bites Matt on the leg to get his attention and says that if he really wants him to go, he will, but Matt tells him to stay. Matt then says that he's always felt alone and that after his parents divorced, he pushed people away and wouldn't let anyone see him cry. Due to Gabumon's companionship, Matt begins to see that he isn't alone after all and that he does have friends. Matt and Gabumon promise to be best friends forever. The cave around them dissolves and they are almost immediately spotted by Joe, who has been searching for them. Joe returns Matt's harmonica.
Sora and T.K. find Matt's boat. Sora begins to doubt herself and the same darkness that had a hold of Matt grabs her and she falls into a cave with Biyomon. Just then, Joe and Matt find T.K. and he tells them what has happened. They go into the cave, with Matt warning them not to be scared. Upon finding Sora, Matt and Joe try to bring her out of her depression. They give her confidence to keep going and tell her that they came to the Digital World for a reason. Sora realizes that this is true and the cave around them disappears. They rejoin Tai and his group to find WarGreymon badly injured. Matt tends to Tai, who is also hurt, and says that their friendship always meant a lot to him. Tai says that he never stopped believing in him and Matt's crest glows, healing WarGreymon. Gabumon then Warp Digivolves to MetalGarurumon and joins the fight against Piedmon.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
No Digimon are analysed in this episode.
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Gomamon: "Maybe your harmonica playing is keeping him in hiding."
Joe: "Everybody's a critic."
- —Joe and Gomamon still haven't found Matt.
Matt: "I've been living a lie."
Gabumon: "You're not a real blonde?"
- —Gabumon still doesn't understand what Matt means.
"Oh, Matt... Oh, Matt! I think you'd better take a look at this!"
- —Gabumon doesn't know what else to say, but his thoughts are put aside as he sees the dark shadow enveloping Matt.
"I'm no good. I can never go back to being their friend."
- —Matt under the influence of the shadow.
"It's like ice cream: he's vanilla, and you're rocky road."
- —Gabumon describes the differences between Tai and Matt.
"If you really want to be left alone, then I'll respect your wishes and disappear. But only if that's what you really want me to do."
- —A tearful Gabumon offers to leave Matt.
Matt: "I've never let anyone ever get close to me before. Not since my family split up. Ever since then, I've been alone. I figured if my family didn't want me, that I would just keep to myself and never tell anyone what I was feeling, and I swore I would never let anyone see me cry. But, really all I wanted to do was cry."
Gabumon: "Then cry."
- —Matt recalls the loneliness he felt when his parents split, as Gabumon comforts him.
"I hate being alone."
- —Matt's tough guy exterior finally cracks as expresses his inner feelings.
"I'm here for you, Matt. I used to be lonely too, I wandered around the Digital World without any friends at all, and then after I met you I knew I'd never be lonely again."
- — A still tearful Gabumon recalls his own loneliness.
Gabumon: "Uh, correct me if I'm wrong on this one, Matt, but weren't we just in a big, dark cave a minute ago?"
Matt: "That's right. And we were completely lost."
- —Matt and Gabumon are baffled by the sudden disappearance of the cave.
T.K.: "Gee, Matt, you look different. Did you cut your hair or something?"
Matt: "No, I just haven't been using as much gel."
- —Where did Matt ever find hair products in the Digital World?
"Once, it took four of us to get my grandmother off the toilet like that."
- —Joe comments on the fact that he and Matt together aren't strong enough to lift a darkness-enveloped Sora up off the ground.
Izzy: "Tai, look. I know it's important for me to stay here and protect Kari, but in the meantime, who's gonna protect you?"
Tentomon: "He tends to be a bit stubborn, doesn't he?"
Tai: "Don't worry about me. I'm fine. I've got him right where I where I want him. He's exhausted."
Izzy: "But I can help you!"
Tai: "Uh. I'm fine."
Izzy: "That's funny. General Custer said the exact same thing at Little Bighorn."
Tai: "Thanks for the history lesson."
Izzy: "All right, then. Just one thing. How come every time I ask, you never let me join in the fight?"
- —Izzy's growing more and more concerned as Tai puts his life at risk yet again.
Tai: "I never doubted you for a second, Matt. I know it didn't always seem that way."
Matt: "Thank you, Tai... for believing in me. I'm just sorry I was so late. Tai, you have to know how much our friendship has always meant to me. And I swear nothing will ever come between us again."
- —Tai and Matt make amends as the Crest of Friendship regains its light.
- During WarGreymon's first assault on Piedmon, the ruffle on Piedmon's waist is colored white instead of red at one point.
- When Matt reacts upon Gabumon's bite, one frame shows the dark shadow separated form his body
- When trying to talk sense into Tai, Izzy moves upwards from the bottom of the screen to reveal the lower half of his body missing.
- When WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon prepare to fight Piedmon at the end of the episode, the red section on the armor plates on WarGreymon's legs are colored gray instead.
- When Matt returns to help Tai in the battle against Piedmon, Tai's image song, I'll Turn My Courage Into Wings, is originally played in the background. This song is replaced with orchestral music in the English dub.
- In the Digimon Adventure (PSP) version of this episode, Mimi shows up with Matt, Joe, Sora, and T.K. to help rescue Tai.
- Also in the PSP version of this episode, WarGreymon de-digivolves to Agumon instead of getting badly injured.
- In the original version, Piedmon's pose on the episode title screen is based on the transformation sequence for the Japanese TV character Ultraman.
- When Tai claims to have Piedmon right where he wants him, even when he clearly doesn't, Izzy refers to a similar assumption made by General Custer at Little Bighorn, during the Great Sioux War of 1876-77.
- In the cave, Gabumon makes a reference to the Biblical story of Jonah and the Whale.
- In the English dub, Sora chants "There's no place like home", a famous quote from The Wizard of Oz.
- Piedmon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.