| The Dancing Digimon |
(Odoru Bourei! Bakemon)
"The Dancing Ghosts! Bakemon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) May 16, 1999|
(En:) September 25, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Yoshio Urasawa|
(En:) Mike Reynolds, J.M. Morris
|Directed by||(Ja:) Hiroki Shibata|
| Chief Anim.|
Joe and Sora check out a nearby church for signs of life and find anything but.
Joe and Gomamon are floating through the ocean on a bed. Joe starts to freak out because Gomamon is eating all of the food and he is seasick. Then a giant crate floats over to the bed and Ogremon is inside of it. He begins to attack them with his club. Gomamon calls in his army of fish but even with so many of them, they can't stop Ogremon. As he is about to attack Joe, Gomamon digivolves into Ikkakumon, who is able to escape with Joe on his back. Unfortunately, he is tired and hungry and turns back into Gomamon and the two start to sink.
Meanwhile, Sora is fishing and hooks something big. When she pulls it up, it turns out to be Joe and Gomamon. Joe is unconscious and Gomamon explains to Sora and Biyomon what happened. He also says that he is worried about Joe's self confidence after what happened and to get it back, they should make Joe their leader. Joe then wakes up and is shocked to find out they want him to lead them. He is finally convinced and embraces his new position. Then they hear bells and the group sees a church in the distance. Joe takes them there and he goes in to find a group of people in masks dancing. He gets everyone else and they are shocked to see other humans.
One of them comes and takes Joe's group inside. He says that they are celebrating the "Bakemon holiday" and would love to have them all as guests. Gomamon asks the man why they honor Bakemon because he is a bad Digimon. The man gets very mad and reveals that he and everyone else are Bakemon! Joe's group is surrounded and Gomamon and Biyomon are too hungry to digivolve. They are then all kidnapped by the Bakemon.
Joe and Sora are tied up to be eaten by the Bakemon while Gomamon and Biyomon are thrown in a jail cell. They realize that to escape, they must trick the guard. He had been sleeping but Gomamon wakes him by throwing a rock. He and Biyomon tell him he is bad at being evil because he is not taunting them. The Bakemon says he doesn't know how and his prisoners explain that he must find out what they want and get it but not let them have it. They tell him they are hungry and he should get food but not give it to them. The Bakemon gets some bananas and Gomamon and Biyomon trick him into coming so close that they beat him up and eat the food. At the same time Joe and Sora are about to be eaten as the Bakemon all combine into one huge one. When it is about to get them, their partners show up and digivolve.
As Ikkakumon and Birdramon fight the giant Bakemon, Joe and Sora run and hide behind some grave stones. Bakemon is winning but Joe is determined to help their partners beat him. He starts saying a chant to get Bakemon to lose his power and starts hitting Sora's beanie to a rhythm. Bakemon then starts to shrink and Ikkakumon and Birdramon are able to beat him! The ground then opens to reveal many Black Gears which all break apart. They then start to head back to Infinity Mountain.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonist(s), and italicized characters feature non-explicitly, e.g. voice, silhouette, image.)
| Ghost Digimon|
|Gomamon: "The masked man was the evil Digimon, Lord Bakemon, in disguise. No one had ever seen him in his true form."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"There's one thing I've learned in DigiWorld: beds don't make good boats."
- —Joe starts us off with his favorite pastime: complaining.
Joe: "You're right! I am the bravest one here!"
Sora: "Well, let's not get too carried away."
- —Sora notices that Joe's appointment as leader is already going to his head.
"There are people in the church, dancing! Badly, I might add!"
- —Joe can never let a good opportunity to complain slip by.
Sora: "There are people. They're dancing and they're wearing masks, like it's... Halloween."
Sora, Joe, Gomamon and Biyomon: "Wuaaaaaahhhh!!!"
- —The mysterious stranger sneaks up behind the group.
"Ow! I'm allergic to pain!"
- —Joe notifies the Bakemon of his medical conditions. Very responsible of him.
Joe: "Okay, don't panic. I'm still in control and feeling strong."
Joe: Waaah!! I don't wanna be somebody's appetizer!!"
- —Joe has a (rusty) iron will.
"Bakemon, lose your power."
- —Joe comes up with a quick mantra to fend off Lord Bakemon.
- In this episode, Sora's beanie is rigid like a helmet, though in the later episode "Flower Power", her beanie is shown to be soft like fabric.
- When Ogremon breaks out of the box, the band on his left leg is red instead of black.
- During the fight with Ogremon, in a shot of Joe on his hands and knees, his watch is colored green where it should be white.
- When Sora sees Joe in the sea, the sole on her left shoe is black instead of white.
- In the scene of the group by the campfire, Gomamon's left ear is colored purple where it should be white.
- In the scene where Gomamon explains about Bakemon, the spots on his back are white instead of purple.
- In a shot of Sora, Joe and their Digimon as the priest's mask breaks apart, one of Biyomon's right tail-feathers is colored red where it should be blue.
- When running away from the Bakemon, the red stripe on the sole of Sora's shoe is missing.
- As the Bakemon dance to invoke Lord Bakemon, the soles of Sora's shoes are white where they should be gray.
- When Sora and Joe are first shown behind tombstones, Joe's yellow wristband is on his left arm where it should be his watch.
- Ogremon did not use his "Pummel Whack" technique in the original Japanese episode, and was instead just swinging his club at Joe and Gomamon.
- Joe's "army march drivel" only appeared in the English dub.
- In the original episode, the graveyard is referred to by it's official name, Overdell Cemetery - the English dub does not name it at all.
- Joe's chant was a Buddhist mantra in the original Japanese episode.
- The English dub removes a brief clip of Lord Bakemon being impaled by Ikkakumon's Harpoon Torpedo before he explodes.
- The original had Sora speaking when the duo are about to be eaten, but the English dub does not.
- Joe announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- Joe's emergency first aid kit retains its Japanese kanji in the English dub.
- When Joe said he was the bravest of the group in the original Japanese episode, he hears church bells and asks if they are ringing a bell to commemorate his leadership.
- Bakemon is the first Digimon that the DigiDestined actually destroy.
- When Joe chants his mantra in the Japanese episode, he says "Rukideku yorukide ga Tosute, Rukideku yogishi Fuara, Bikoroyo Oonten Mantekuyahi" which is "Test ga Yoku Dekiru, Ara Fushigi Yoku Dekiru, Hyakuten Manten Ooyorokobi" backwards - this translates as "Can do tests well, Oh can do mysteries well, 100 points perfect score big happiness."