| "The Earthquake of Metalgreymon" |
(Kanzentai Shinka! MetaruGureimon)
"Evolution to Perfect! MetalGreymon"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) July 25, 1999|
(En:) October 9, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Satoru Nishizono|
(En:) Mike Reynolds, Jeff Nimoy, Bob Buchholz
|Directed by||(Ja:) Keiji Hayakawa|
| Chief Anim.|
After discovering Sora's location inside the pyramid base, the group form a plan of attack in order to rescue her, and Etemon's reign of terror comes to a surprising end.
Tai is still rather upset about his mistake, the group tries to keep him positive. Izzy uses his computer and discovers that Sora and Biyomon are still in the pyramid, which instantly raises Tai’s spirits.
Meanwhile Sora is trapped in a hidden room and Datamon begins to create a copy of her, which he plans to use to control her Digivice and Crest. This way, he can make Biyomon digivolve and take revenge on Etemon for imprisoning him.
The group devises a plan to sneak inside they pyramid without being seen. Tai wants to be the one to save Sora and receives the directions to the secret room from Izzy. He is scared to hear that he must pass through another electric fence, the thing that caused his last downfall. While Matt and Joe create a distraction, Tai and Izzy head into the pyramid through a secret passage. They take a few detours through the labyrinth inside the pyramid and are spotted by a security camera, however they didn't notice.
Meanwhile Mimi leaves to help fend off the guards leaving T.K. alone. Etemon attacks the DigiDestined outside and easily defeats all of the Champion level partners. He then starts singing which causes them to de-digivolve. One of Etemon’s henchmen informs him that the remaining DigiDestined are inside the pyramid. This brings him to the conclusion that Datamon must also still be there and while he is pondering this Mimi, Joe and Matt escape and return to T.K.
When Izzy and Kabuterimon are held up by an angry Etemon, it's left up to Tai to face his newest fear and pass through the upcoming firewall. Agumon’s encouraging words help him pass through the electric fence and his overwhelming courage causes his Crest to glow. He finds himself in Datamon's hidden room, face to face with the Sora copy. Tai then manages to steal the Sora's Crest from back from Datamon. Datamon opens up a hole in the floor underneath Sora, but Tai is able to save her from falling and returns her Digivice and Crest. Biyomon is then able to digivolve and Tai and Sora then escape the pyramid along with Izzy and their partners. They meet up with the others as the pyramid collapses after being battered.
Meanwhile, Etemon has also found Datamon, and the two plunge into Datamon's expanding hole in the floor and into the heart of Etemon's Dark Network. Many of the Digimon that were guarding the pyramid are sucked into the vacuum as the pyramid disintegrates. Datamon is consumed, but Etemon takes control of the huge ball of the Dark Network. He rises out of the pyramid, stronger than ever to face the kids outside. Agumon, now Greymon, takes on Etemon with Tai by his side, but it isn't enough. Then Greymon digivolves into MetalGreymon because of Tai’s courage and has no trouble defeating the evil Digimon. However, destroying the heart of the Dark Network creates a dimensional rift, sucking both Tai and MetalGreymon in. Tai and Koromon find themselves back in the Real World, more specifically, in Tai’s own neighborhood.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
| Special Move|
|Tentomon: "MetalGreymon uses his own body as a weapon during battle. His most lethal instrument is the Giga Destroyer."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
"How come I wanna throw up every time you say 'one more thing'?"
- —Tai dreads what it is Izzy's about to tell him about the pyramid.
Tai: "Come on Izzy, lets move out!"
Mimi: "He forgot his name!"
- —Mimi misunderstands Izzy completely.
Etemon: "You're becoming a nuisance, son."
Joe: "Of course. It's because I'm a teenager."
- —Joe's first time mocking Etemon.
"This is the end of the line for you and your goat, baby!"
- —Etemon catches up to Joe and Ikkakumon.
"A man must face himself before he can face his enemies."
- —Tai discovers his courage.
"Come down here and fight like a 'mon!"
- —Tai confronts Etemon one last time.
"Koromon, I'm... I'm home."
- —Tai after being sucked through the portal.
- After Tai's flashback of the previous episode, Joe's right wristband is green instead of yellow, and the bottom of Tentomon's feet are black instead of red.
- In a shot of the whole group in the sphynx, the black band on Tai's left arm is missing, the blue stripes on the hind leg of Gabumon's fur coat are missing and the claws are white instead of violet.
- In the sphinx when Izzy turns around to warn the group, his laptop is completely yellow.
- When the group raise their fists to Mimi, the stars on Tai's shirt are missing and the detail on Gabumon's horn is missing.
- When Tai thanks Mimi after she covers the group with a sheet, Tai's gloves are missing.
- In a shot of Joe watching the Gazimon run away, the front of Joe's sweater is the same color as his shirt.
- When Garurumon uses his Howling Blaster attack, some of the blue stripes on his front legs are missing.
- When Gazimon notices Matt and Garurumon, the blue stripes on Garurumon's hind legs are on the back when they should be at the front.
- When Etemon is in the control room, one shot shows his fingernails as orange instead of white.
- When Etemon sets off on his trailer, his index finger has a mark on its tip.
- When the group see Etemon leaving the base, Tai's glove is missing.
- When Joe and Ikkakumon see Etemon throw Togemon's spines to the ground, Ikkakumon's back paw is white instead of brown.
- When Garurumon lunges towards Etemon, he has blue markings on his hind paws.
- When Garurumon and Ikkakumon are hit by Etemon's Concert Crush attack, Ikkakumon's right paw is white instead of brown.
- When Tai, Izzy and their Digimon are hiding from the Gazimon, one of the yellow lines on the front of Tai's shirt is missing.
- When Tai's crest glows, the stars on his shirt sleeves are missing.
- Just before Agumon digivolves, Tai opens his mouth to speak, and his closed mouth is still present.
- When the robotic arm holding Sora's digivice and crest is approaching Datamon, the belt of Sora's copy is the same color as her pants.
- When Etemon is being electrocuted, the earring on his left ear is missing.
- When the group is looking at the crumbling pyramid, the symbol on Gabumon's stomach is missing, and the inside of Kabuterimon's mouth is miscolored.
- When Tai runs off to fight Etemon, the black band on his left arm is missing.
- In the first normal shot of MetalGreymon, the red section of his robotic arm and the orange section under his robotic chest are gray.
- After MetalGreymon destroys Etemon's attack, Etemon is shown with his entire abdomen covered by the dark network.
- While narrating the Digimon Analyzer, Tentomon accidentally calls MetalGreymon's "Giga Blaster" by its Japanese name, "Giga Destroyer".
- Etemon is defeated in this episode, but he comes back as MetalEtemon in the episode Etemon's Comeback Tour.
- One of the sound effects used for Tyrannomon when charging towards Ikkakumon is a direct sample from the film Jurassic Park, including the sound of one of the child actors yelling over the roar.
- MetalGreymon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- MetalGreymon is the first Digimon to be analysed using the alternative Digimon Analyser theme, which would later become the standard theme.
- This episode marks the end of the Etemon arc.