| "The Gateway To Home" |
(Yami no Shiro Vamdemon)
"Vamdemon, the Castle of Darkness"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) September 12, 1999|
(En:) November 20, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Hiro Masaki|
(En:) Rebecca Forstadt, John Ludin
|Directed by||(Ja:) Keiji Hayakawa|
| Chief Anim.|
With everyone together again, Gennai shows up with news of an eighth DigiDestined, and so the group must return to the real world, and find the child before Myotismon does.
SynopsisGennai appears to reveal that there is an eighth DigiDestined in Japan, and Myotismon is already preparing to go to the real world to find him/her.
The group decide to sneak into his castle. Agumon and Palmon go in disguise as recruits for Myotismon's army, and are accepted for training by Nanimon. The two, aided by Sukamon, Chuumon, and some Numemon and Vegiemon who are also part of Nanimon's group of overworked henchmen, find a way in for the rest of the DigiDestined by luring Nanimon with soda (sake in the original Japanese).
Meanwhile, Myotismon is about to depart for the real world through a legendary door, and the group find him just as he's leaving. Myotismon escapes and sends Nanimon and his henchmen to fight the children. After handily scaring off their enemies, the children try to make their way to the door, but Gatomon, one of Myotismon's most loyal servants, summons a horde of Devidramon. Their hypnosis creates such a diversion for the kids that the door closes before they can go through. With Gatomon and Myotismon now in the human world, Tai beats on the door helplessly.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
| Special Move|
|DemiDevimon: "Nanimon, is an Invader Digimon. I'd tell him what I really think of his sunglasses, but his 'Power Punch' would flatten me."|
| Holy Beast|
| Special Move|
|DemiDevimon: "Gatomon might look like a harmless little kitty, but deep down inside, she's an out-of-control wild cat. Don't ever cross her path."|
| Wicked Dragon|
| Special Move|
|Gatomon: "Devidramon—he's one nasty dragon, guardian of the gate. 'Devi' doesn't like losing. If you want a real surprise, look into his eyes—you'll be hypnotized."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Joe: "Save the good news for last. I hate being depressed."
Matt: "He's a basket case anyway, let's start with the good news."
- —Joe and Matt disagree about what Gennai should tell them first.
"What a couple of weirdos."
- —Nanimon's opinion of Agumon and Palmon's disguises.
"Open the gate to my destiny!"
- —Myotismon prepares to enter the human world.
- Tai's Digivice turns blue instead of orange when Greymon digivolves to MetalGreymon.
- Nanimon is shown to drink soda in the English dub, when it is in fact alcohol. The labelling on the bottles is also removed to hide this fact.
- DemiDevimon's Demi Dart is edited out (yet again) during a fight with Patamon in the English dub, due to its close resemblance to a syringe.
- Originally, when Myotismon places the cards to open the gate, he chants the words "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", which is a reference to a short story of the same name, written by Jorge Luis Borges.
- Myotismon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- During Greymon's digivolution to MetalGreymon in the English dub, he announces the name "MetalGreymon" twice.
- In this episode, the existence of the eighth DigiDestined is revealed to the group. This episode also happens to mark the first appearance of Gatomon, who would later turn out to be the eighth Chosen Digimon.
- The end of this episode signifies the half-way point of the series.
- In the original version, this is the first episode to use the new ending theme Keep On.