| Togemon in Toy Town |
(Parumon Ikari no Shinka!)
"Palmon Angrily Evolves!"
| (Ja:) Fuji Television|
(En:) Saban Entertainment
|Airdate|| (Ja:) April 11, 1999|
(En:) September 20, 1999
|Written by|| (Ja:) Yoshio Urasawa|
(En:) Michael McConnohie, J.M. Morris
|Directed by||(Ja:) Tetsuo Imazawa|
| Chief Anim.|
After a brief chase through the sewers by Numemon, the kids and their Digimon end up held captive by Monzaemon in Toy Town, and only Mimi and Palmon are left to save them.
The DigiDestined are wandering through the sewers with their partners and singing. Sora becomes very emotional upon remembering when she used to sing at home and how much she misses it. Tai says that he misses playing sports followed by a warm bath. T.K. misses video games and Matt misses steak. Joe misses homework, Mimi misses the beach, and Izzy misses looking at stars and planets. The kids are interrupted from their thoughts when they hear a pack of Numemon coming towards them. They all run as sludge is thrown at them by the Numemon, though they soon escape through an opening in the sewer because the Numemon don't like sunlight.
The kids wander for a while when they see a bunch of vending machines. Despite thinking it is a trick like the phone booths they recently saw, Mimi tries one anyway. After putting money in the machine, a Numemon comes out and it has a crush on Mimi. She rejects him and he gets mad, but Mimi is not worried because the sun is out. Just then, the clouds cover the sun and another pack of Numemon come out and chase the kids again. They decide to split up. Right before Palmon attacks the Numemon chasing her and Mimi, the Numemon run away. It is because there is a Monzaemon behind them. He is usually a nice digimon who runs Toy Town but he starts chasing them. The girls escape after running into the Numemon that likes Mimi. After turning him down again, they figure that something must be wrong in Toy Town and so they head there.
Mimi and Palmon arrive at the brightly colored town and see all of the other DigiDestined running around with the toys saying they are having fun. However, they don't sound like they're having fun. The girls then find a locked chest which is full of all the other Digimon partners. Agumon tells them they had been captured by Monzaemon. Mimi and Palmon then go off to fight Monzaemon alone. As he is attacking them, the Numemon come to their rescue, or at least they try to. They are easily defeated. Palmon goes to join them join them in the fight. Then she digivolves into Togemon who defeats Monzaemon, causing a Black Gear to come out of his back. Everyone is freed and Monzaemon apologizes. He then gives them all a big heart hug as Mimi once again turns down the Numemon.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance. Bolded characters are fought by the protagonists, and italicized characters appear only as a voice or silhouette.)
| Mollusk Digimon|
|Mimi: "These sewer-dwelling Numemon were, like, totally hygiene-deficient. They love throwing "Nume-Sludge" at you—and they have bad breath too."|
| Puppet Digimon|
|Mimi: "Monzaemon looked like a cute, big ol' teddy bear...but he wasn't very cuddly."|
(Number indicates order of occurrence.)
Mimi: [singing] "Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam..."
Joe: [singing] "Avoiding your drone."
- —Joe cracking a joke at Mimi's talent... or lack there of.
"They really do come from another world!"
- —Agumon has apparently been struggling with the idea.
Mimi: "There must be thousands of them!"
Joe: "I'd say under a hundred."
Izzy: "Or maybe just fifty."
- —Mimi, Joe, and Izzy try to determine the number of vending machines that the kids have just come across.
"How dare you call me short! The date's off!"
- —Numemon is obviously very sensitive about his height.
Monzaemon: "I must say, so pleased to make your acquaintance."
Mimi: "Acquaintance? He's attacking us!"
Palmon: "Ya think?"
- —So much for Monzaemon being harmless.
"You know, I'm beginning to take this whole 'black gear' thing a little personally."
- —Tai's starting to get the point of the black gear's purpose.
T.K.: "Wow-ee, that sounds like fun, Mimi!"
Mimi: "It is!"
Izzy: "Get a grip!"
- —Izzy is disgusted at Mimi's idea of fun.
"I may be a lady, but I am not a pushover. Time to show this Digimon some manners!"
- —Palmon digivolves to Togemon for the first time.
- The English dub episode features Mimi singing badly, though in a later episode, Mimi is shown to have a great singing voice.
- In the English dub, when the kids reminisce about home, Matt says he's "been dreaming about Sundays, when Mom grilled steaks". In later episodes, it is revealed that Matt lives with his dad, since his parents are divorced. T.K. also talks about beating Matt at his video games (English dub), even though he and Matt live with different parents and, as Matt stated in an earlier episode, rarely see eachother.
- The English dub gives the impression that the events of this episode are in fact past events, told from the perspective of Mimi, who narrates at certain points in the story.
- At the very beginning of the original Japanese episode, an old toy can be seen floating in the sewers.
- Whilst in the English dub, the group sing a song made up by Agumon, in the Japanese episode, the group are playing a game where they sing a real song, and then sing another one beginning with the last sound in the previous song (e.g. finish with "su", start the next song with "su").
- When everyone gives weird looks to Agumon, in the original, this is because they're struggling to think of a song beginning with "e" (see above). Mimi thinks of one, but nobody knows it. In the English dub, this is replaced by Agumon recommending that Mimi sings, only to find that she has a terrible singing voice (which actually contradicts a later episode, "Princess Karaoke").
- In the English dub, Numemon's attack was changed from Poo to Nume-Sludge, for obvious reasons. The original narrator can be heard pausing before reluctantly announcing Numemon's attack.
- In the original episode, the Numemon are said to be the most hated of Digimon.
- Togemon announces the episode title in the Japanese episode.
- In this episode, Togemon declares her Needle Spray attack as "Digimon Needle Spray".